Sunday, April 28, 2013

Surrender of Control


This week I headed to Houston, Texas to visit my Irish friend, Glenda, from England.  Her brother is marrying a Texan this weekend.  I intruded on their time since its been a year since I've seen her.  Plus, its a good chance to get away and relax a bit.  

As we were landing into Chicago, we were flying in the middle of some huge clouds.  As I was looking out the window and seeing nothing but white, I was struck by the fact that my faith in God is a lot like flying in a plane.  There I sat with no control of our plane as we were headed through the thick whiteness.  I had to sit back trust the pilot and his gear to get me safely on the ground.  I could have sat there and worried about it and fretted, but what good would that have done.  I wasn't in control of the situation.  I sat in the back of the plane with my seatbelt buckled and let the pilot worry about getting us safely to Chicago.  

On the second flight of the day, we started feeling quite a bit of turbulence.  The pilot came on the speaker and said, "I'm sorry about the ride and that it is making you uncomfortable.  I promise…we are quite safe."  Isn't that how it is in our own lives.  Each one of us experience the ups and downs of life and sometimes the violent shaking aka turbulence of life.  Life isn't always a smooth, comfortable, enjoyable ride.  Sometimes we have to go through the turbulence of life to get to the destination God has for us.  But, just as the pilot reassured us we were safe, God whispers in our ears, "I love you.  I've got this.  You are safe with Me."  

As I pondered trusting the pilot, I thought about how my God is even bigger, even stronger and how He has a better navigation system than my pilot or the airplane had.  I could worry about what will happen in my life, but what good will that do.  I have no control over it.  My worrying doesn't change my circumstances. 

I just need to sit back, buckle up and enjoy the ride.  Knowing and trusting that my God has a plan for my life.  A plan to prosper me and not to harm me, a plan to give me a hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11).  I need to trust that through the storms and through the turbulence He is Lord of all.  

No comments: