Somewhere around 6-9 months ago, Steve and I started questioning if Anna could hear properly. She has also been a bit slower in her language development than the other kids, but some kids just do things at their own pace. Early in the year, we started doing bits of testing on her for example whispering her name when she wasn't looking and calling her from across the room, etc. At times, she seemed to hear us fine, but at other times she seemed as though she couldn't. We decided to take her into the GP to see what she said. Now starts the part of my story that gives a glimpse on how the NHS (National Health Care System) works.
Our first step was to the GP and she agreed we should probably have her hearing tested. She said she would have to find out what that took. I then spoke up and said that we had private health care insurance and that we would like to see this particular doctor (an ENT, who our friends use for their little boy. They really trust him and like him.) She said, "oh", proceeded to take this doctors info so she could send a referral to him. BTW, if we didn't opt to use our private insurance, I don't even know when we would have been able to get her in for a hearing test. We have friends whose daughter has been on a waiting list for a hearing test (not even an appointment with an ENT) for 4-6 months.
After we the doctor sent the referral, we waited. I think it took about 3-4 weeks to get the letter from the ENT's office with our appointment date and time. We then took her to see the ENT back in Februaury. He checked her over and asked a few questions. We then went to another room for a hearing test. Anna wouldn't cooperate with the lady and put the men in the boat when she heard a beep. They were just able to do a vibration test. This showed how much her eardrum vibrated when it heard sound. Her's hardly vibrated at all. We then went back into talk with the doctor. He suggested, because of the size of her tonsils (they are massive), her lack of hearing, and the fact that she snores, to take out her tonsils, adnoids and to put tubes/gromits in her ears. Steve and I were prepared for him saying she needed tubes, but weren't prepared for the tonsil part. We asked him if we could call him in a week with our decision.
After praying about it and talking with others who have had the same experiences, we decided to go ahead and do it all. We called the doctors assistant and she said she would send the referral to the hospital. Then, we waited more, a lot more! It took about six weeks to get our date for her surgery. Then, the surgery wasn't scheduled for another six weeks out, which brings us to next week.
Next Wednesday, June 3, is the date of Anna's surgery. She will be having her tonsils and adnoids out and have tubes put in her ears. We have to leave the house bright and early (5:30 a.m.) to be in Cambridge at the hospital by 7 a.m. Glenda, such a great friend, is coming to stay with the rest of the kids for the day. Thank you, Glenda! Anna will have to spend the night in the hospital because they watch for bleeding after taking tonsils out. I will be staying with her and Steve will come home to stay with the rest of the kids. She should get out the next day and Steve will return for us.
Now for our prayer requests...
1. Pray that the surgery will actually take place. The doctor warned us that it could be cancelled last minute because the hospital is so busy, they may not have a bed for her.
2. Pray for safety through the surgery and for quick recovery. The doctor said she wouldn't be totally well for about two weeks.
3. Pray for Steve and I as we send her off to surgery and wait for her to be out. Pray for peace, comfort and faith.
4. Pray that the surgery would work, she would be able to hear once again and that she would continue to develop with her speech
4. Pray for the rest of the kids to be safe and have fun with Glenda.
I think that is it. We would greatly appreciate all of your prayers next week and following. We will give an update when we are able. Thank you!