Monday, March 14, 2011

Beginning to Count My 1,000 Gifts

Well, here I begin to count my 1,000 gifts. Ann Voskamp in her book One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are gives the challenge to create an attitude of gratitude, by counting the gifts/blessings God has given us and/or the ways we see God in our everyday life.

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --Sarah Ban Breathnach
I know from my own life experiences that those are the times in my life when I focus and look for God working around me, I see less of my own problems and I see more of God.

So in an attempt to see more of God and less of me I begin counting.

#1 Sweet conversations with my 6 year old daughter on God's forgiveness
#2 For a husband who is sensitive to what is going on around the world
#3 Homemade chocolate chip cookies (and milk)
#4 Naptime
#5 Dinner already made
#6 The baby saying "back pack"
#7 Opportunities to help
#8 Other moms willing to help
#9 A clean and organized closet
#10 Five kids and one baby playing nicely at my feet at the dentist while I had my teeth cleaned

No comments: