Friday, March 11, 2011

Project Simplify #1 - My Wardrobe

I didn't think I would be able to do it, but amazingly enough, I did. Simple Mom is doing 6 weeks of simplifying and organizing your home one week at a time. Each Monday they announce the hot-spot to work on that week. They give you advice on where and how to start and also which supplies to have handy.

Week one -- My wardrobe, clothes, shoes, purses, accessories, etc.

I wasn't able to touch a thing until Wednesday night after the kids were in bed. I had a bit of energy so I started in the closet. After only about 45 minutes, I had finished the closet. I tend to keep up on getting rid of clothing I don't wear. I purge a couple times a year. I think this is why it didn't take me too long.

I am also not a very sentimental person and I don't usually hold on to things just for the meaning. I really thought because of these reasons this job would be easy. I did come across a stack of sweaters I have had for years. Some of them were even from college. Every time, I cleaned out my clothes, I would keep them saying I would wear them in the cold of winter when in actuality I haven't worn them in probably 5 or so years.

You see one was a sweater I got just after my first daughter was born. I felt so good wearing it, especially after wearing maternity clothes for so long. It was even pink, my favorite color and a color fitting since I just had our first baby girl. I wouldn't have thought I would have any emotion over my clothing, but alas I do. I connect different parts of my wardrobe with different memories. I have to tell myself that just because I get rid of a piece clothing because I haven't worn in years, I am not throwing away the memory I have while wearing it. Plus, if it was something I truly loved than I have a picture of myself in it, like one of me wearing that pink sweater while holding my sweet baby girl on Valentine's day.

As I was cleaning piles of clothes out of my closet, I mentioned to Steve that I think I have less clothes than most women. He corrected me and said I probably have less than most men. I am not really a clothes horde and I really try to only buy things if I feel good in them and if they are a good price.

Purses and shoes
Hanging clothes and skirts
Sweater pile (I cut this one more than in half)
T-shirts

I started on my dresser on late Thursday morning and was able to finish it in the afternoon with some help from a couple of little helpers.
Underware
And now for the after photos... (after filling 5 bags with clothes, shoes and purses to give-away)



Nice and tidy

Oooo, it feels so good. I'm looking forward to seeing what Monday's hotspot is and wondering if I'll be able to stick it out.

*I even motivated Steve and we cleaned out his clothes last night. One more large bag outa here!

5 comments:

Holli said...

love it!! and had to ask forgiveness for closet envy! haha! I love purging! have you ever watched clean house... I want to be one of them! :)

k, K, A, & a... said...

Hi! Glad you're doing well! We haven't talked in forever, but I've kept up with your blog.

You might like my friend's new organization site:
http://www.choresandchecklists.com/index.html

Lisa T said...

Great job! I'm with you, my wardrobe is very simple and probably less than most men!

Unknown said...

Looks great, but I think you forgot to put a few of those cute shoes in a bag to ship off to me. :)

Remind me on Monday to see what next weeks is. I'd like to do it too!

Laura said...

Yup, me again
Steve is not really into those kind of shoes.
Though I was signed in!